Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The NYTimes review


It's official: Three stars.

The gray lady's new reviewer, Sam Sifton, has granted Marea three stars in today's paper. Two of the dishes I prepare were mentioned: the lobster salad and the ricci with lardo. We actually were given copies of the review late last night in the kitchen, which prompted a BBQ party in the crudo bar after service (some dawdling diners had to put up with we rapscallion cooks invading their civilized personal space).

So what does three stars mean? It means the cooks are proud of their work, but have a bit of a chip on their collective shoulder regarding not getting four stars. However, getting four stars might have driven some business away, whereas three stars means we'll probably be swamped with reservations for a while.

More importantly, those three stars make some of the harder days working at the restaurant all worthwhile. And the timing couldn't have been better: this week I officially end my externship and receive my first paycheck. I, like Marea, am now a somewhat legit part of the culinary world.

2 comments:

  1. That's great, Nick! I'm sure they couldn't have done it without your cut-up hands working the appetizers. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a question: What dishes are your favourites culinary wise in NYC?

    I will be going to Marea during my trip and may taste some food you cook. ;)

    I'm not visiting any of the Momofuku Franchises other than possibly trying out something small at Milkbar. Is that a mistake in your eyes?

    ReplyDelete